Monday 22 December 2014

Comptoir Gascon

French bistro in the City


Comptoir Gascon

Comptoir Gascon is the sister restaurant of the fine dining restaurant Club Gascon, it's position itself as a gourmet bistro, sourcing its food and wine from South West of France. I'd always enjoyed classic humble French cooking and I found that lacking in London, judging from what Club Gascon could deliver, I was hoping for some well executed traditional French cooking from its little sister.


piggy treats & foie gras
soft egg and truffle polenta
We started off the menu with some piggy treats and foe gras, all the charcuterie were all very oily and rich, I found the pig ears' texture outstanding and it went really well with the bold and richness of the foe gras. The signature Gascon dish truffle egg was the winner on the night with its earthiness not overwhelming the dedicated taste of the soft egg. My main of lamb variation with zesty green was not as good as I would hoped for, the meat was rather tasteless and lacked any real quality, perhaps we were given a rather odd cut or not such a fresh cut on the day. 
lamb with zesty greens
cuttlefish, black bisque and rice
green apple parfait
chocolate fondant

Overall the evening was hit and miss with the food but I did enjoy the lovely ambience of the venue, the classy bistro setting really gave me a slice of Southern France and price wise it was decent considering the fact that we are in the city. Perhaps I should come back to try out its duck dishes if I ever return next time as it seems to be the item that everyone raved about.


Food 2.5/5

Executive chef: 
Pascal Aussgnac

What I paid: 
£39 per head

Average cost without drinks and services:
£25 - £45

63 Charterhouse St, London EC1M 6HJ

http://www.comptoirgascon.com/


Comptoir Gascon on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! All these dishes are looking very yummy! I can’t wait to try out these dishes. I wonder if I can find these French dishes at the local San Francisco restaurants! If yes, then it would be a blasting treat.

    ReplyDelete