Saturday 15 August 2020

Brat

Basque-style BBQ 


Velvet Crab

I love BBQ, especially BBQing a fine cut of meat or top-grade seafood, it is hard to beat. Unfortunately, not many London restaurants have mastered such techniques, but Brat is one of the few places that fit the bill. The restaurant champions open fires cooking with fine quality meat, as well as fresh wild seafood sourced from around the UK, its whole BBQ turbot has become somewhat legendary and has become an iconic dish from Brat. Less than a year since launched back in 2018, it gained a Michelin star. I have eaten there in the past, while I think is a great fuss-free BBQ restaurant, I don't think it quite reaches that Michelin star standard. Anyway, after lifting of lockdown, I miss eating seafood so I went back to Brat to sample some of its new dishes.

Crab Tartlet 
Hake Kokotxas
Soused Mackerel

The grilled velvet crab was hard to fault, cooked perfectly with the crab packed with natural sweetness with a nice smoky undertone. Less impressive was the soused mackerel, nothing wrong with the cooking of the fish, but I felt the sour onions were rather one dimension and the lose watery texture doesn't really work with the fish. However, the BBQ whole John-dory was a total winner. The meat was so moist and seasoned to perfection, it was light, fresh and everything came off the bone easily, I prefer it more than the signature turbot for sure. The mutton chop was another solid dish, cooked medium rare and full of mouthwatering fatty texture with a lovely charred aroma, it might be too rich for some, but not for me, I can happily have a whole chop to myself.

BBQ John Dory
BBQ Mutton Chop 
Burnt Cheesecake

I did enjoy the second visit at Brat, it confirms it is still at the top of its game at BBQing great meat and seafood, but for me, still some way short of the Michelin level but that doesn't matter. I found overall, the bigger dishes were better than the small plates, and the main reason would be you always get better flavours from a big cut of meat or a large fish at the end of the day. Therefore, I think if I ever return, I would dive right into the big plates or large sharing dishes for sure. 



Food 3.5/5

What I paid: 

£66 per person with wine

Average cost without drinks and services:
£45

4 Redchurch St, Hackney, London E1 6JL

https://www.bratrestaurant.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment