Saturday 16 October 2021

Sabor

The Queen of Spanish cuisine in London

 

Wild seabass

If you ask me to pick my no1 European cuisine, Spanish would easily be my no1 followed by Portuguese. I would often travel to Spain just for the food alone so I fully admit I have a massive Spanish food fetish. In London, it is tough to find a decent Spanish restaurant, let alone a great one. Sabor in Mayfair is the only one I would go back every once a while, as I found it to be the best Spanish restaurant in London. The Michelin starred restaurant does simple things, using good ingredients with great executions, and that is what great Spanish cuisine is all about. For my 5th visit, I kicked off with a selection of tapas, before moving on to big sharing plates.


Monkfish

Octopus

Pig ears

I found the house classic pig ears was not the same as it used to be, it was drier to a level that it was almost like crisp, which I felt it went too far, I much prefer the old version. The cuttlefish was a new dish on the menu and it was really enjoyable, cooked just right with a tender texture, finely seasoned with the aid from the wrapped ham and cuttlefish ink. Sabor has always been expert in cooking whole dish, and this time they have nailed it too, a 1kg wild seabass was cooked on the grill with garlic and sweet paprika, the fish was really moist and cooked perfectly.


Red mullet

Cuttlefish

Crispy piglet

Sabor delivered another outstanding meal, but I got to admit the I found the overall standard was a touch lower vs my last 2 visits. Apart from the pig ears, the desserts were pretty poor for a Michelin star restaurant, with 3 out of the 5 desserts were just some ice cream with a cake or some form of garnishes. Maybe because I just returned from Spain so my expectation was high. Despite that, my dinner at Sabor was still very enjoyable and I would happily return as they are one of the few restaurants that knows how to cook whole fish properly.

 

Food 4/5


Average cost without drinks and services:

£50

35-37 Heddon St, Mayfair, London W1B 4BR


https://www.saborrestaurants.co.uk/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment