Sunday 18 June 2023

The Five Fields

British fine dining in Chelsea


Canapes of carrot, salmon and onion


I have always found the Five Fields is an underrated restaurant, the British fine dining Michelin 1-starred restaurant for me is perhaps one the very best 1 star restaurant in London, and it was edging toward 2 stars level based on my older visits before Covid. Since Covid, I wonder if it has anything to do with a lack of staff or cost, I just found the level was not as good as it was compared to my first 2 visits. For m
y 4th visit this time, I noticed it is now a single tasting menu restaurant with no ALC.


Asparagus, hollandaise

Raddish, scallop and cabbage

Grilled lobster and lettuce

Dover sole, watercress


The kohlrabi was served 3 ways, and I really enjoyed how Five Fields has a great focus on such humble ingredient and source the right combination to get the best out of it. The radish broth with apple was the winner out of the 3, it was sweet with a soft earthy taste, very clean on the palate, and tasted super fresh. The roasted lobster tail was cooked perfectly, and very moist, and the lobster sauce that was cooked in the lobster head and shell had such a rich and bold taste of the sea, I couldn't fault it. The main Fallow deer had a potent taste, heavily seasoned to a level that some might find a touch too much. the truffle and mushroom pastry on the side was a great flavour combination and worked well with the deer sauce.

Morrel, egg and garlic

Venison, truffle, mushrooms, chocolate

Rhubarb trifle
Walnut tart


My 4th visit has confirmed Five Fields has dropped back to a solid 1-star level, instead of the 1.5 star level back in the day. The walnut tart dessert just didn't feel right as part of a fine dining offering, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the lack of pastry chefs around the UK. The overall savoury food offering was still fine quality in its offering but given the rising cost the price is now double what it was pre covid, it was a little bit too much for me I must admit. 


Food 4/5


Average cost without drinks and services:
£160

8-9 Blacklands Terrace, Chelsea, London SW3 2SP

http://www.fivefieldsrestaurant.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment