Friday 16 February 2018

Nut Tree Inn

Not your average pub


Roast loin of venison, truffled sprout puree, parsnips, red wine sauce

Every once a while I need a city escape and traveling to the Cotswolds from London for a long weekend has fast become a regular activity for me. In true Michelin guide fashion, I have started to do some detouring for lunch or dinner on my way to the Cotswolds, and sometimes those meals can be the highlight of my weekend trip. On the edge of Oxford, the Michelin starred pub the Nut Tree Inn is one of the stands out places I have been to from my latest trip, this is my second time visiting this cozy gastropub, and we opted for the a la carte menu.   

Gratin of smoked haddock, eggs, chorizo
Partridge pastille, foie gras, hazelnuts
Cornish cod, cauliflower, curry, veal jus

My starter of partridge pastille is far from the usual dish you would see from a pub, the pastry was done expertly with a thin crispy surface and the partridge was still very tender while the seared foie gras on top delivered a rich and creamy texture which give the dish an extra depth of flavour. You got to go for the venison in winter and that is what I opted for as my main, it was roasted to perfection, lovely pink in the middle with the perfect seasoning. The earthy profile of the truffled sprout puree and parsnips matched the meat beautifully, it was a plate full of umami flavours. 


Passion fruit souffle
Sticky coffee pudding, clotted cream ice cream
Chocolate and coffee bar, coffee puree, milk ice cream

The Nut Tree Inn has once again delivered a wonderful dinner and it was totally worth the extra driving effort to get there. What I really admire is that even when the restaurant is dishing up some highly creative and top quality dishes, the place still retains its classic pub charm with locals popping in for a drink or two just like many other countryside pubs around the UK. Price is very affordable, with no service charge on the bill and is totally up to you how much you would like to add, which is a total contrast to London! To sum it up, a charming gastropub with Michelin quality food at reasonable price, what is not to love about it?


Food 4/5

What I paid: 

£58 per head with a beer

Average cost without drinks and services:

Tasting menu: £65

Main St, Murcott OX5 2RE, United Kingdom


http://nuttreeinn.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment