Tuesday 14 January 2020

Otto's

Canard à la Presse



Canard à la Presse

While I enjoy fancy, modern French cuisines, sometimes I do love a traditional meal. However, top-class classic French food is not easy to find in London. Many Michelin rated restaurants are going for the modern European style these days, and I would say only Le Gavroche is the only Michelin starred French restaurant that still has that traditional charm in London. However, when I want something less formal and easier for my bank account, I think Otto's is the perfect restaurant. Located in Holborn, the restaurant is all about classic French dishes with some tableside flair. You will see dishes such as stuffed pig trotters and baked cheese souffle.



The Challans duck
Duck liver and mushrooms
Calf away...

For my first visit, I pre-ordered the Canard à la Presse, a classic pressed duck dish that served in 3 courses. The duck was cooked with a range of sauces, I noticed the host used port wine, red wine, brandy, and orange liqueur, as well as duck stock and fat, the aroma in the room was heavenly. The first dish was a duck liver and morel on a brioche toast, which was served with a glass of sweet wine. The earthiness of the liver was perfect with the buttery rich brioche. Next, it was thinly sliced duck breast that served with a blood sauce that our host pressed in front of us, the sauce was so bold and intense, matched wonderfully with the finely cooked meat. The last course was a duck leg with foie gras and crispy duck skin, it was classic cookery at its best. Everything worked in harmony when our host topped the dish with a truffle and wine sauce, this was the perfect winter dish. 


Roast Challans duck suprême, haricot verts, pommes soufflées
Challans duck leg, frisée salad with a truffle and Madeira sauce
Soufflé au Grand Marnier

Otto's was easily one of the best French restaurants I have encountered in London, I just love everything about it. Besides the food, I enjoyed the old school decor, the charming service, as well as the tableside drama. It is also good to see that Otto's kept such a lovely French cuisine tradition alive in London, which is so rare these days. I would be more than happy to head back in the future as there are so many exciting dishes I have yet to encounter anywhere else in London, such as the pressed lobster and the stuffed chicken with truffle and mushrooms.


Food 4/5


Average cost without drinks and services:

£50


182 Grays Inn Rd, Holborn, London WC1X 8EW


https://www.ottos-restaurant.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment