Sunday 20 November 2022

Agostino Iacobucci

Fine dining like an Italian noble


Raddish, roe, and vermouth


Set inside Villa Zarri, a brandy distillery and mansion just off Bologna, Agostino Iacobucci is a Michelin-starred restaurant like no other. The building itself is a charming 16th-century mansion, with a massive garden. The interior itself is impressive, with well-spread-out space, and stepping inside feels like visiting a noble's home. The head chef here is Agostino Iacobucci, who moved from Bologna's only Michelin-starred restaurant I Portici's his cooking has a hint of Naple element as that is where he came from. It is a tasting-menu only restaurant, guests can pick either 10 or 12 courses.


Comacchio eel, pine nuts, yuzu, ponzu and gin salad

Cuttlefish, garlic mousse, n'duja oil and lime

Stuffed pasta with Parmesan cream


I went for the long menu, and I noticed the cooking contained some Asian elements in the form of ponzu dressing for the smoked eel dish. The sweet and sour dressing was well blended, and the eel was bold in taste, but for me, it was just a fish salad so didn't really impress me. I was in love with the cuttlefish dish, which was loaded with squid ink and garlic mousse, it was really deep in umami taste with a lovely creamy mouthfeel, I would rate it as the best dish of the meal. The smoked lamb main was another outstanding dish, the lamb was baked in hay and had a super moist texture. The classic artichoke and pistachio element worked like a treat with the tender lamb.

Pasta filled with ragu, topped with tomato

Lamb cooked in hay, castelmagno, roasted artichokes, pistachio

Rum baba


The service on the day was excellent, really caring and formal but not over the top. I actually find the whole dining experience similar to Le Gavroche London, with that old-school charm. The quality of the food, classy decor and slick service... Agostino Iacobucci is the whole package for anyone who enjoys traditional fine dining. I would rate this meal as my no 1 for my recent visit to Bologna. I would love to return if I ever touch down in the region again.


Food 4/5

What I paid: 
£150 with wine

Average cost without drinks and services:

£100

Via Ronco, 1, 40013 Castel Maggiore BO, Italy

https://www.agostinoiacobucci.it/


No comments:

Post a Comment