Sunday 5 March 2023

Garelos Madrid

Galician seafood joint


Grilled razor clam


Normally I would avoid going to chains, especially when I go on holiday. But Garelos seems to be a chain I cant avoid as their food offering is just the kind of food I seek and the price seems to be very reasonable. Located in Madrid with 3 sites, Garelos is all about Galician-style cuisine, with a heavy focus on seafood. Galician is renowned for its top-level seafood, when done well, it can be something very simple yet taste exceptional. The menu contains all the classic Galician items, from grilled seafood to empanadas.


Ham croquettes
Grilled baby scallops

Clams cooked in tomato soup


Given it is just a quick light lunch I was seeking, I only ordered a few selections of dishes from its starter session. The grilled baby scallops were really something, cooked really well with the blend of garlic, sea salt, and olive oil at the perfect balance. The croquettes were also excellent, it was loaded with a good depth of pork cheek meat and cheese, very creamy but not overly rich. The classic octopus with paprika spices was solid, the octopus was very tender and it was finely seasoned, and tasted fresh too.

Octopus with paprika

Galician cheesecake

I did fear that Garelos would be a letdown and the freshness of the seafood would be in question but it turned out to be really enjoyable in the end. Garelos wasn't really trying to do anything funky or fancy, it was all about Galician cuisine done in a simple and classic manner. I was only able to enjoy the starters given I was in a hurry, but if I ever return to Madrid, this will for sure be on my "I will be back" list.


Food 3.5/5


Average cost without drinks and services:

£40


 Pl. de Canalejas, 1, 28014 Madrid, Spain

https://www.garelos.es/

No comments:

Post a Comment