Sunday 14 April 2024

Galvin La Chapelle

 Classic French charm revisit


Dorset crab raviolo Dashi “beurre blanc”, braised fennel, Baerii caviar & trout roe


I have been eating my way around London for over 10 years, seeing so many new restaurants opening and closing at such a fast pace. I got to a point where now I understand it is not always about the next hot new opening, why wouldn't you want to visit amazing, reliable places that would guarantee you great food and a good time? Lately, I have been going back to places that I have enjoyed in the past. Galvin La Chapelle is one of those places that I always wish I would visit more often as I had some great memories there, so once I found out it had a revamp back in early 2024, it was a good excuse to head back.


Orkney scallops & yellow tail ballotine Oyster emulsion, crispy guanciale, kimchi dressing

Cornish cod Courgette flower in escabeche, Taggiasca olive, mussel mouclade

Sladesdown duck Lavender honey, Roscoff onion, beetroot chutney, hibiscus

For my 5th visit, I opted for the alc menu. Interestingly, it is the first time as in the past I always go for either the lunch set menu or the tasting menu. The signature dish of the house is a crab ravioli dish, and it was good to revisit that dish. The crab filling had a good ratio of brown and white crab meat to offer a nice creamy yet fresh taste. The addition of dashi worked well as a seasoning and uplifted the dish's savory note. My main event was a whole duck roasted with lavender and honey. It was cooked pink and the honey and peppercorn rub on the skin was just wonderful, I really enjoyed that small hint of smokiness and sticky texture. It also came with some well-crafted garnishes of beetroot and onion, which worked so well with the duck.

Herdwick lamb Heritage carrots, watercress, tuna bottarga

Pineapple soufflé Cucumber, thyme infused gin, caramelized white chocolate

Yuzu Camomile, honey, almond praline

It has been a while since I last ate at Galvin La Chapelle, and I was pleased to feel that my 5th meal there was the best to date. I just felt everything in the cooking was more refined and had a more modern feel in its presentation. It was good to see the restaurant is not stuck in the past and looking a ways to progress. The restaurant has been holding onto its Michelin star for more than 10 years so it just shows its commitment to fine quality year on year, with warming service to match. I would rate this place as one of the best French restaurants in the City of London.


Food 4/5


Average cost without drinks and services:

£90

35 Spital Square, London E1 6DY

https://galvinrestaurants.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment