Sunday 14 April 2024

Sollip

Modern European cuisine with a light Korean touch


Dongchimi

I have to admit the Michelin star guide does have an impact on me when searching for a place to eat. Without it, I would never have come across Sollip, a 1 starred restaurant run by a Korean couple in London Bridge. I have never had upmarket Korean food in London before, nor have I come across a modern European restaurant with Korean influences, so I was eager to see what Sollip could bring. It is a tasting menu only venue, with a short one for lunch and a longer one for dinner.


Gamtae Sandwich

Squid Tagliatelle Ragu, Straciatella, Crosne

I had the lunch menu on my visit. The best dish of the day was squid shaped into a tagliatelle-like shape and it was a delight. The creamy squid ragu was blessed with the taste of the sea, very umami strong with a soft sweetness, as well as a lovely smooth texture. The main dish was a BBQ flat iron beef steak with a side dish of artichoke rice. It was some sliced steak (and average cut) with some sauce which was decent enough but at what was supposed to be Michelin star level. Dessert repeated the theme with some shaved lychee ice and lime dust, which felt like it was a palate cleanser at best and not a proper dessert.

Barbecued Wagyu Jerusalem Artichoke Jangajji, Baechu Puree, Spinach

Lychee & Jasmine Omija Berry, Finger Lime


Sollip is a strange one for me, while the restaurant brand itself has a Korean influence, I found the place is very much a modern European restaurant, decent enough but nothing remarkable. It was really questionable why would this place warrant a Michelin star as many other places in London can do much better cooking while using better ingredients too. Sollip for me is one of those that sounds very interesting on paper, but leaves you thinking 'Is that it?' kind of place.


Food 3/5


Average cost without drinks and services:

£78


Unit 1, 8 Melior St, London SE1 3QP

https://www.sollip.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment