Monday 22 July 2024

Park Chinois

 Dim sum champion, so long


Pumpkin dumplings, scallop dumplings and xiao long bao

Without a doubt, Park Chinois is my No. 1 choice for Chinese cuisine in London, it has a really strong dim sum offering, as well as some high-class stir fry and seafood items, it is the whole package as far as food-wise. When the news broke out that the dim sum head chef Ming was leaving the business, it was sad news for me as I enjoyed so many of his creations over the years. For my 28th visit, I went pretty much full-on dim sum mode and ordered almost the entire dim sum menu, which in a way was a good tribute to enjoy Chef Ming's creation one last time.


Black pepper venison puff

Lobster and chicken shu mai

Iberico pork rice puff

Pan fried wagyu beef gyoza

The truffle and mushrooms rice roll is my No. 1 dim sum at Park Chinois, the earthy note from the black summer truffle, worked so well with the stuffed mushrooms which were wrapped inside a crispy layer of tofu skin. I also really enjoyed the pear-shaped Iberico pork rice puff, light and puffy, with a sticky-rice-like chewiness and a savory meat flavour, also so beautiful to look at. The steamed dumpling dim sum range has always been strong and this time the standard remained. The scallop and mui choi dumplings and lobster shumai stood out for me. Both had a mellow soft seafood umami tone and a lovely chewy texture, along with a well-crafted pastry layer.

Peking duck

Japanese dried shrimp and scallop rice roll

Truffle and mushroom bun

Truffle and tofu sheet rice roll


As expected, I had an outstanding dim sum feast as everything was refined and delicious. I am fully aware the price tag at Park Chinois is high, but you get what you pay for as in return, you are getting some finely crafted dim sum, using top-class ingredients. Now that Chef Ming has left the house, I wonder if Park Chinois can maintain its dim sum standard, something I will find out in the near future when I head back there. Till then, I wish Chef Ming all the best.


Food 4.5/5



Average cost without drinks and services:

£75 (lunch)

17 Berkeley St, Mayfair, London W1J 8EA


https://parkchinois.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment