Thursday 25 July 2024

The Midland Grand Dining Room Restaurant

Goodbye Mr Powell


Roasted chicken, wild mushrooms and riesling sauce


Since Midland launched in the early summer of 2023, it has become one of my go-to places for top-quality French cuisine. I have been there 4 times in total and not long after I have been for my 4th time, I discovered that Patrick Powell, the chef behind all the wonderful creations is leaving. This is a shame for me as Midland is one of my top French restaurants in London. Below is my experience from my 4th visit just before he left, I went for 2 courses only, mains and desserts:


Roasted cod, white bean, lemon

Potato dauphinoise

BBQ monkfish and lobster baked fregola


The lobster and monkfish fregola is a dish I have had before at Midland, and this time it was as good as it was before. The BBQ monkish was meaty with a hint of smokiness, tasted beautiful with the soft fregola, and the lobster added umami sweetness to create such a mouthwatering dish. A whole roasted chicken was stunning with a riesling sauce, sharp, creamy, and sweet, creating a nice balance. The chicken itself was cooked just right, very moist and tender, I have tasted a similar version in Noble Rot before but Midland's version easily beat that. Dessert here has always been great, and my no 1 pick of the day was a simple crème caramel, buttery and creamy with a bold egg essence, it was a great way to end such a feast.

Pineapple souffle

Crème caramel

Paris Brest


I am glad I got the chance to dine there just before Patrick Powell is going. The dining room is as beautiful as you get with its gothic noble theme, and the food was truly special. Patrick Powell has managed to marry British ingredients with French flavours to offer something that dare I say, is better than many French restaurants in France. I just returned from a Nice trip and found the food at Midland is better than most French restaurants I have eaten there. It is sad to see I will be losing such a great French joint in London as I have a feeling it just won't be as good going forward, but I do wish Patrick all the best in his next chapter as I am sure he is brewing something interesting.


Food 4/5


Average cost without drinks and services:
£75


St Pancras Renaissance Hotel, Euston Rd., London NW1 2AR

https://www.midlandgranddiningroom.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment