Monday 10 April 2023

Restaurante Cenador de Amós

Masterfully crafted Cantabrian cuisine


Peas and peas soup


3 Michelin stars are a bit of a myth for me, I had some amazing, world-class meals at some 3 stars outlets like Martín Berasategui and Azurmendi that I found is well could be the peak of fine dining. At the same time, I had some questionable ones like Arzak and Waterside Inn, places that are great but really not 3 stars level in my book. I was wondering where Cenador de Amos would fall. The chef-owner Jesús Sánchez works with mostly Cantabrian ingredients and the restaurant only has 6 tables so be sure to book well in advance. On arrival, you will be guided to the herbs garden before stepping into a cozy room to enjoy some canapes. 


Squid, sea urchin and seaweed

Cod egg and pepper cracker

Anchovies

Oyster, caviar and oyster ice cream

Hake, marea engra

Lobster, tudanca


You will be taken to the main dining room for the tasting menu, and I was served dish after dish of exceptionally crafted dishes. The first was a squid tartar in black ink with sea urchin and seaweed, it was a seafood harmony that was loaded with the fresh, clean taste of the sea. The roasted Cantabrian monkfish... seasoned to perfection, it was meaty in texture but blessed with the natural sweetness of the fish, and easily the best monkfish dish I have encountered ever. The main course pigeon was truly special, the meat was as tender as you can get, and the peppery beetroot sauce offered a lovely sweet earthy taste.  


Monkfish, coals and seaweed

Piegon liver parfait

Piegon, beetroot, stew meat

Yolk cake

Chocolate in 4 forms

P4


Without a shallow doubt, Restaurant Cenador de Amós is in the same bracket as other world-class venues like Martín Berasategui. 5/5 for me easily and the best meal I have had so far in 2023. I can't really think of any dishes that I didn't enjoy, they were either great or really special. which is so rare in a long-tasting menu format. I am so glad I gave this place a try as the wonderful dinner from this amazing experience would for sure be kept in my memory for a long time.


Food 5/5

Average cost without drinks and services:
£220 (dinner)

Plaza del Sol, s/n, 39793 Villaverde de Pontones, Cantabria, Spain

http://www.cenadordeamos.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment