Tuesday 13 February 2024

Cañabota Seville

Classy seafood bar


Ref prawn and white asparagus


I am a seafood addict so whenever I plan my holiday, I always would run research to see if there are any decent seafood venues where I am heading. Canabota on paper is just the kind of place I know I will enjoy. Fresh seafood, cooked to order in a smart casual bar setting, and indeed I had a great experience back in 2020, which landed a Michelin star not long after I had been. Therefore, when I decided to head back to Seville again, it was an easy decision for me to head back. The restaurant doesn't really have a fixed menu, instead, they provide an ever-changing daily menu based on the catches they get on the day.


Caviar on prawn tartar

Red prawns


The giant red scarlet prawn was served two ways, one steamed and one cold. For sure the steamed version was the winner as the warm sweet umami taste stood out for me. The blue lobster was also done in two ways, tomato salad for the tail and claw, then grilled the legs and head. For sure I prefer the grill version as the charred did enhance the freshness taste of the lobster. I had the grilled grouper from my first visit and I reordered again this time, and I was so glad I did as it was the star dish of the day. The fish was grilled to perfection, meaty and moist, with the garlic oil enhancing the sweetness and umami taste of the fish, it was classic fish cookery at its best.

Blue lobster 2 ways, tomato claw and grilled tail

Grilled grouper


Not much has changed since 2020, the quality of the seafood cooking at Canabota was top-notch. The place has master classic seafood cooking, and some dishes with a hint of modern touch to make it elegant. I would say the service felt rushed due to the place being tiny and being in a bar setting, but given the price level when you likely would be spending more than 100 Euro per person, I think it could have been better. As its sister seafood bar La Barra is just down the road and is cheaper, you might wish to go there instead and ignore the Michelin star hype.


Food 4/5


Average cost without drinks and services:
£80

Calle José Gestoso, 19, 41003 Sevilla, Spain

https://canabota.es/en/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment