Tuesday 13 February 2024

El Rinconcillo Seville

The oldest restaurant in Seville 


Iberico pork and cheese 


El Rinconcillo is the oldest restaurant in Seville and one with a reputation that makes it extremely popular. No matter which day of the week, you likely will see a long queue of people waiting before it opens, as the downstairs tapas space is for walk-in only. However, you can book a table for a more formal experience to enjoy big plates alc styles. Since I have been to its tapas space in the past, I decided to go for its restaurant space for some old-school Southern Spanish cuisine.


Russian salad

Angler fish stew


One of the house specials is giant clams cooked in garlic, this is a great dish anywhere in Spain and El Rinconcillo's version was quality. The umami taste of the clams combined so well with the garlic broth, and the clams were just cooked to the right level with a soft texture. The special of the day was an angler fish stew, I was so glad I decided to give it a try as it was much better than I expected. It was cooked in tomato sauce with shellfish, and the fish was really meaty but very tender at the same time, so it worked well in a stew, as far as fish stew it was for sure one of the better ones I have encountered in Spain. 


Grilled sirloin steak

Garlic clams


Interestingly enough, while everyone seems to prefer the tapas space (I guess cheaper is a good reason), I enjoyed the upstairs space just as much as I was able to sample dishes that you won't normally see in a typical tapas bar, and I can sit down and relax instead of standing around barrels and lost among the crowd. So for sure you better off heading upstairs if you visit as a family. As far as classic Southern Spanish cuisine, you won't go wrong with this place.


Food 3/5


Average cost without drinks and services:
£45

Calle Gerona, 40, 41003 Sevilla, Spain


https://www.elrinconcillo.es/en/home/

No comments:

Post a Comment