Thursday 8 February 2024

Mei Ume

New age Chinese


Peking duck


Located inside the elegant Four Seasons Hotel in Tower Hill London, Mei Ume is an Asian restaurant that offers both Chinese and Japanese cuisines. Somewhat of a strange concept but clearly one that is working as it has been trading since 2018 and I have been told it is the most profitable food and beverage offering within the hotel. I suspect partly has to do with that it is the only fancy Asian restaurant in the Bank/ Aldgate area. This is my 6th visit.


Lamb gyoza

Dong Bo pork belly

The roasted Peking duck had a good ratio of fat and lean meat, and the skin was well-marinated, and very tender as well. The only issue I had was the pancake which was clearly over steamed to a level that it was close to crispy because it was so dry, which was a shame. The house special dong bo pork belly was very moist with a melting texture, I really loved the sauce which contained soy sauce, rock sugar, and spices, it is such a treat when served with rice. I had the drunken guinea fowl from my last visit and it was the standout dish so I decided to order again, the Japanese whisky and red date created such a wonderful floral aroma, and the meat was so tender with just a small hint of smokiness, my kind of dish.

Guinea fowl cooked in whisky and red date

Grilled black cod in sweet soy

I found this meal had an edge over the last visit, which is not a surprise, given now the kitchen team is more settled with over half a year of experience while on my last visit only just got started with a brand new team under the leadership of chef Peter Ho. I do think the Chinese cuisine element of Mei Ume is up there with the likes of Imperial Treasure and Mei Mei. Of course, given is within the grand setting of a Four Seasons hotel, you are also paying for branding so for me a meal a Mei Ume is more of a special occasion for sure.



Food 3.5/5


Average cost without drinks and services:

£85

10 Trinity Square, London EC3N 4AJ


https://www.meiume.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment