Tuesday 2 September 2014

Opso

Social Greek food


Opso

I was on a hunt for a brunch spot in Bond Street and Opso came up in my research, Opso is a new Greek restaurant in Marylebone and managed to gain some positive ratings from the locals. On the day I visited it was jam packed while The Real Greek which is directly opposite was completely empty and it was truly amusing. The decor of Opso took on a modern approach with bar space at the front and a large communal table in the main restaurant space. As Greek food is somewhat a new territory for me, I wasn't sure what I was in for.


Tsoureki,  mahlepi flavoured brioche

The food got off to a great start with the Taramas cream, the salted cod roe spread was not overly salty or heavy with just the right balance of creaminess and thickness, spreaded on top of the well baked olive crackers and was very refreshing. Less impressive was the chicken liver mousse, the livers was too bitter and challenging for my palate, the velvet cream with thyme and oregano was supposed to offset the liver but it didn't really worked together, also at £6 for a tiny pot it just didn't seem value for money. 
Taramas cream
chicken liver mousse
 poached egg on toasted koulouri bread

The poached egg on toasted koulouri bread was the winner of the day, a Greek take on English breakfast, eggs was perfectly cooked and the Greek yoghurt hollandaise was nicely blended which worked wonders with the bacon and leeks. Overall the food at Opso was pretty decent but nothing really wowed me away, I cannot really comment how it compared to the "real" Greek food as I have yet to taste the real deal, but judging from the food I had at Opso, it was pretty pleasant but not something I am likely to visit again anytime soon. 


Food 2/5

What I paid: 
£22 per head with a soft drink

Average cost without drinks and services :
£20 - £30



10 Paddington St, W1U 5QL, Marylebone, London

http://www.opso.co.uk/

Opso on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment