Friday 11 September 2015

Launceston Place

The Last Supper


Launceston Place 

It was my 10th, and sadly my last visit to Launceston Place, the Michelin starred restaurant is my personal favourite fine dining restaurant. The super talented chef Tim Allen has decided to move on to Wild Rabbit  in the Cotswolds after 3 successful years acting as head chef, winning countless acclaim including 4 AA Rosettes and a Michelin star. The refined, modern and innovative approach of his cooking is just pure music to my ears, every time when someone asks me to suggest a good fine dining restaurant, Launceston Place is always the first one that I recommend. So as soon as I discovered that Tim was leaving, I even moved forward my planned birthday dinner to experience his cooking one more time in London while I still had the chance.


The last supper!
Snipes
Truffle cream canapes
Foie gras, smoked eel, cheery, nasturtium
Quail, corn, muscat and verjus
Smoked quail legs

As a birthday treat, I was offered a special 10 course tasting menu with a great selection of game dish
es, the canapes of snipe indicated what an expectational meal awaited me, the savory bitter flavours really got my taste buds going. The first course of foie gras was simply stunning, finely cooked with a beautiful smooth and creamy texture, the smoked eel and cherry element added complexity but harmony at the same time. The in-season grouse dish had a great combination of garnishes and they worked so well together, I was a big fan of the creaminess of the fatty lardo and mellow bitterness of the padron pepper, the quality of the grouse was also second to none, tender and moist with bags of flavour, rich but not over powering, bold but not strong, just how a top game dish is suppose to be.

Hare, elderberry, white balsamic, bacon & girolles
Grouse, white vine peach, padron pepper, Iberico lardo
dandelions, salted cobnut
Agustin knows his stuff:)
Cornish mackerel, gooseberries, cucumber, dill
ice grain mustard
Hand dived scallop, chervil root, apple and sorrel
Lobster, wonton of claw, apricot & smoked almonds

Cornish Mackerel was one of those dishes that has the "blow you away" factor, the iced grain mustard was a total sensation with the settled sharpness and coolness which combined so well with the mackerel, so much so I think it was just as good, if not better than The Ledbury's signature flamed grilled mackerel dish. First time trying a lobster dish from Tim and it was indeed special, the freshness of the Cornish lobster was second to none with that hint of nutty undertone from the smoked almonds finishing off the dish so brilliantly. The last great game dish was the Roe deer, the meat was cooked to perfection, cooked on the bone added that extra boldness and richness to the super moist deer and with the beetroot added a lovely balance of earthiness.


Roe deer, young beetroot, walnut compressed endive, fig
Amalfi lemon
Peach, raspberry, white chocolate
P4

My last supper at Launceston Place (While Tim is still head chef) was such a mind boggling experience, dish after dish of top quality plates of food with elegant presentation. Not a single dish failed to reach my expectations. In fact, it was the best meal I have had this year so far in the UK and one of those meals I'll always be able to remember even in 10 years time, the cooking was just so exquisite with top service to match. As I am typing this blog post, I already feel a little sad that I won't be able to sample Tim's cooking so frequently... yes I am a fan boy, so much so that I have already started planning when and how to get to Wild Rabbit to continue to experience the great Mr Allen's magic in the countryside of the Cotswolds. Finally, I wish everyone who works at Launceston Place a successful future wherever you guys will be, you have all done a fantastic job to make every single one of my visits special.

Food 5/5

Head chef: 

Tim Allen

What I paid: 

£120 per head with 2 glasses of wine

Average cost without drinks and services:

Lunch menu: £33
Tasting menu: £70

1A Launceston Pl  London, Greater London W8 5RL


http://www.launcestonplace-restaurant.co.uk/


My Launceston Place journey: 

Launceston Place* (1st visit)

Launceston Place* (2nd visit)

Launceston Place* (3rd visit)

Launceston Place* (4th visit)

Launceston Place* (5th visit)

Launceston Place* (6th visit)

Launceston Place* (7th visit)

Launceston Place* (8th visit)

Launceston Place* (9th visit)

Launceston Place Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. still my absolute favourite restaurant in London, thanks for all the great reviews. When is Tim moving?

    ReplyDelete