Tuesday 28 August 2018

Ham Session

Ham and cheese heaven


It's "ham"mer time;)


Without a doubt, Spain produces the best pork in the world, and I got nothing but love for finely aged Spanish ham and cured meat. Ham Session by Don Jamon came to my raider while I was doing my research for my holiday trip to Girona, as you can tell by the restaurant's name, it is all about the ham. Simply put, you pay 22 Euro and you have yourself an all you can eat ham and cheese buffet, ranging from hand slice Iberico ham to aged cheese from France and Spain. It sounds almost too good to be true, considering the fact that a 100g plate of decent Spanish ham in London at a restaurant would cost you around £15. I got to say Ham Session is the "Ham and Cheese Heaven" to me.   


The interior 
Foie gras and cheese
Ham and cheese toastie, Catalan style

I booked a table for 9.30pm and our waiter informed us just feel free to take whatever we want from the ham and cheese counters till 1am in the morning, that is music to my ears. I was expecting the quality of the cured meat and cheese could be average as it is all you can eat at the end of the day, but no, everything appeared to be top quality, such as the chorizo, which was made from Iberico pork. It was smoky and oily with a bags of spices and meaty tastes. The hero Jamon ham was wonderful, it was rich with a lovely nutty aftertaste, which worked so well with the toasted tomato and olive oil baguette. Ham Session also offer some hot tapas and desserts as special treats that serve to your table, I found the melted cheese and apples on toast was an interesting combo to start off the meal, especially with a glass of white wine.


Fine wine and cheese selection
Cheese party
Iberico ham

It was an evening of nothing but fine wine, cheese, and ham. I didn't even get the chance to try the foie gras selection as I was struggling with the cheeses, Ham Session had about 30 cheeses and foie gras on offer along with 10 types of cured meat, and I only managed to try about 25% of what was on offered. This is the perfect place for a group of friends, with great music and also a cocktail bar. Most wine cost under the £15 mark, really hard to fault the place. At the end of the day, there is pretty much zero cooking at Ham Session, but the quality of the meat and cheese are really top notch and I got to say it was amazing value for money, I just wish there is something similar like this back in the UK.


Food 3/5


What I paid: 

£28 per head with wine

Average cost without drinks and services:

£20

Polígon industrial Joeria Sud, Nau 4, 17150 Sant Gregori, Girona, Spain


http://donjamon.cat/HamSession

No comments:

Post a Comment