Saturday 7 December 2019

China Tang London

Winter warmer, Cantonese style


Steamed brown crab in egg white and rice wine


China Tang is one of my to-go with places for authentic, top-notch Cantonese food in London. I have lost count how many times I have been there now, it might be inside a posh hotel, but the cooking is all about classic, old school Cantonese, with no gimmicks whatsoever. For my winter visit, I had the chance to sample some new dishes that head chef Fong is testing out, as well as getting my hands on some traditional winter dishes. The restaurant was so so busy on the night I went, it was flooded with travelers, as well as wealthy locals.



Buttered lobster rolls
Salt and pepper prawns

The meal kicked off with a new dish, lobster rolls, which contained a creamy, buttery-rich lobster tail that wrapped with a thin layer of crispy pastry. It was fried to the perfect level, and the softness and freshness of the lobster were enriched by the addition of butter. The showstopper dish of the evening was a giant brown crab steamed in Chinese rice wine and egg white. It was loaded with so much wonderful floral and savoury aroma, the crab was sweet and moist, it was a really well-executed piece of seafood cooking in a classic Cantonese way. The slow-cooked lamb shoulder in a clay pot is the kind of winter warming dish I just got nothing but love for, rich in soy aroma, the lamb had a melting texture, with just a small hint of earthiness from the shiitake mushrooms.

Sweet and sour beef
Double cooked Iberico pork with tangerine peel sauce
Lamb shoulder cooked in a clay pot

As expected, China Tang delivered another great evening, the cooking was fabulous, and the service was also slick. Our Cantonese waiter took great care of us, really on the spot with changing our plates and always speak to us in such a warm manner. I have slowly eaten my ways into the whole menu over the last 3 years, so it is always good to see chef Tong trying to add new dishes to spice things up a bit. I have yet to visit the restaurant at lunchtime and that is on my to-do list for sure, as I got a feeling the dim sum dishes at China Tang would be pretty special too.


Food 4/5


Average cost without drinks and services:

£50

53 Park Ln, Mayfair, London W1K 1QA


https://www.chinatanglondon.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment