Monday 5 September 2016

Greenhouse

Work of art


Front of Greenhouse

Greenhouse is a two Michelin starred Michelin restaurant in Mayfair, the cooking is modern French while maintain a touch of classic glamour and sophistication. It has been over two years since I last eaten there, with a half day off from work, I figured it would be a good idea to try out its set lunch menu as the restaurant does not offer the good value £40 menu at weekends. I was also interested to see how the restaurant has progressed as I am a big fan of chef Amraud Bignon's presentation with his dishes, for me, I think Greenhouse has, by far the best food plating in London, every single dish are presented like artwork.



Crab appetizers
Arctic char, sake, cucumber, radish
Guinea fowl, bamboo shoot, pea, plum
Whiting, beetroot, blood vine peach, yogurt

For starter, I had the guinea fowl and it was seriously impressive. The meat was really moist, full of settled and dedicated tastes, the crispy skin was also finely seasoned with the addition of sweet pea and fresh plum, that really brought out the umami flavours of the bird. The main of chicken was also sensational, very tender and packed with richness. It might sound odd from the garnish of blackberries' sour and bitter tone, but it really worked fine as they offered a lovely contrast of flavours whilst the soft potato added balance. Less impressive was the dessert, the black sesame pudding was fine but the Yuzu lemon was far too sharp which dominated everything else.
Chicken, chive, potato, blackberry
Black sesame, yuzu, thyme
Chocolate, fig, spiced red wine
Petit four

I was really pleased to have returned to Greenhouse, I found the cooking has progressed a lot and apart from the desserts, everything else was really fabulous, based on what I had for lunch, I would be happy to return to splash the extra cash for its tasting menu. I am also a fan of the decor and setting of the restaurant, it is almost like a hidden oasis with a really classy and elegant dining room. Some people might found it sightly dull or dated but for me this is what luxury and fine dining is all about. While many other high end restaurants are going towards a more informal/simplistic approach in its cooking, it is good to see some restaurants, such as the Greenhouse, remain a more fine French manner, together by maintaining a contemporary edge in its cooking. Greenhouse is a seriously a hidden gem in Mayfair.


Food 4.5/5

Executive chef: 

Arnaud Bignon

What I paid: 
£45 per head

Average cost without drinks and services:

£40 lunch menu
£110 tasting menu

27a Hay’s Mews Mayfair, London, W1J 5NY

http://www.greenhouserestaurant.co.uk/

The Greenhouse Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment