Wednesday 8 April 2015

Kitchen W8

Good to be back


Kitchen W8, photo from management

Co-owned by the legendary chef Philip Howard from The Square, Kitchen W8 is a rather low profile restaurant with a Michelin star that is located in a quite neighbourhood off High Street Kensington. I ate at The Square not long ago but it would be silly to compare as both style of cuisine and price point are massively different. This is actually my second visit to Kitchen W8, having eaten there about three years ago before I started blogging. The restaurant is known for its excellent priced set lunch and that is what I went for as I was on my way to an exhibition so I couldn't stay long. 



bread
caramelised lamb sweetbread, tongue,
 lardo, garlic and pea vinaigrette
salad of baked beetroot, sprouting broccoli,
citrus crumbs, smoked cod's roe

My starter of caramelised lamb sweetbread was fantastic, that earthy rich taste was luxurious and the fatty lardo with the pea vinaigrette completed a very mouth watering starter, so good that I had to clean up whatever it was left on my plate with the bread. The Spring chicken breast was finely seasoned and refined in taste, the crispy leg with the wild garlic on top created a lovely texture and a seducing aroma with just a tiny hint of spiced sensations. We finished off the meal with a vanilla parfait and what a summer delight it was, the mango and passion fruit delivered a mouthful of tropical sensation with the perfect balance of sweetness and sourness.

Cornish pollock, Fowey mussels, chervil
slow poached breast & crisp leg of Spring chicken,
gnocchi and garlic
24 months aged Comte
vanilla parfait, mango, passion fruit and lime

With just water to drink, my bill was less than £30 per person and I've got to say I was really impressed with the whole meal. I didn't expect the food would be as good due to the low price but I was so wrong, most of the cooking was at a supreme standard and I was in and out in just just under an hour which makes this spot an excellent place for a quick but classy lunch choice. If I was to be picky then I think the food portion could be a little bigger, but I am seriously considering a quick return to try out its tasting menu as I am sure it could only be even better.



Food 4/5

Head chef: 

Mark Kempson

What I paid: 
£28 per head with a glass of wine

Average cost without drinks and services:

Lunch menu: £23
Tasting menu: £60

11-13 Abingdon Road, London W8 6AH

http://www.kitchenw8.com/


Kitchen W8 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment