Friday 3 April 2015

Koya

Japanese goodness in Soho


grilled chicken thigh

I am a big fan of Koya, in some way Koya has revolutionised the Japanese dining scene in London, breaking out from the traditional Japanese mood and injecting some clever and modern elements that have delighted diners for many years. To keep it fresh and exciting, Koya does a good number of daily specials everyday and some of the dishes you can find on its blackboard are some of the most interesting dishes in London. 

braised pork belly

I returned to Koya for the first time in 2015, once again I ordered the braised pork belly from its standard menu. It is one of my all time favourite dishes in London, the bitter sweetness from the honey and stout blended in beautifully with the moist meat, I can easily have that dish everyday. The daily special of grilled chicken thigh was really tender with a powerful smoky aroma, the seasoning was bang on and the meat was soft and tender. My beef donburi rice bowl is a real comfort classic Japanese dish and I couldn't fault it, finely sliced flavoursome beef on a pile of shiny Japanese pearl rice with just a hint of sourness coming through.


mackerel udon
beef donburi

It was another quality meal at Koya, it had plenty of light and exciting flavours in a pretty refined manner and that is real good value for money for a meal that cost me under £20 (I only had tap water). Simply put, if you live in London and are a fan of Japanese food, Koya is a must try restaurant, great services in a relaxing setting is also real big plus. On a final note, they run a black bench event a few times a month which is Koya's take on a tasting menu, seriously worth considering for any fine dining lovers.



Food 3/5

Head chef: 

Junya Yamasaki

What I paid: 

£19 per head

Average cost without drinks and services:

£20

49 Frith St, London, Greater London W1D 4SG

http://www.koya.co.uk/


Koya on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment