Sunday 11 November 2018

Kam's Roast Goose

King of Cantonese roasted meat


Kam's Roast Goose

Whenever I visit Hong Kong, Cantonese style roasted meat has always been high on my agenda to try. While there are plenty of Chinese restaurants in the UK that also offer Cantonese roasted meat, the quality is just not the same. Also, the really special roasted meat, which is the goose, it is just not possible to get hold of it in the UK. So what is the big deal about Kam's Roast Goose? It is one of the most popular roasted meat joint in Hong Kong, you will see a long queue every day no matter if it is a Monday or a Saturday, it is also one of the cheapest Michelin starred restaurants in the world, with a meal can cost less than £10. It is a very casual restaurant with a no booking policy, and you would be expected to pay up and leave as soon as you are done eating.


Cucumber in a garlic dressing and wood ear mushrooms
Roasted suckling pig
Lo mein tofu
Cantonese style BBQ pork

So was it worth the hype? Well, I ordered a large selection of meat dishes in its short menu, and the roasted goose was the main event of the meal. The suckling pig was pretty special, really tender meat with a killer crispy skin, I could not fault it. The BBQ pork was even better for me, the sweet honey taste, along with the smoky aroma was just heavenly. Just as good was the roasted goose, the meat was so moist, the blend of spices and soy in the sauce was wonderful, not overly sweet with a deep depth of savory flavour. The soy chicken on rice noodle was another winner, the chicken was well poached with a lovely soy glazing that had a fine balance of saltiness and sweetness. 
Soy chicken on noodles
Cantonese style roasted pork
Cured pork sausages
Roasted goose

Kam's Roast Goose was really on fire on the day, every single meat items were done to a really high-quality level, so good that I was really amazed. This was actually my second visit to the restaurant, I didn't think it was anything special at all from my first visit, this was a massive improvement. It took me 45 mins waiting before getting a table and it was well worth the wait, as Kam's Roast Goose delivered me one of the stands out meal in my Hong Kong trip and I would more than happy to return for a third time whenever I seek for Cantonese roasted meat. 


Food 3.5/5

What I paid: 
£15 per head

Average cost without drinks and services :

£15

Wan Chai, Hennessy Rd, 226, Hong Kong

http://www.krg.com.hk/


Click here for more Hong Kong restaurant reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment