Friday 5 May 2023

Duck and Rice

British Chinese cuisine done right


Curry softshell crab


Before Covid lockdown, Duck and Rice is always a great choice for lunch or dinner when I was shopping in Oxford Circus. The casual pub does Biritsh Chinese food at a really great level at a reasonable price, while I am fully aware Chinatown is not far away, I just find Duck and Rice is a touch level better in terms of service and the food offering, and they won't rush you out the door as soon as you are done with your food. Of course, they have a great selection of beer and cocktails too unlike most Chinatown restaurants. 


Chinese chives and prawns dumplings

Wasabi prawns

For my 7th visit, I selected a mixture of items from its alc menu, from dim sum, and stir fry dishes to its house special: The Cantonese roasted duck. The duck was deboned perfectly and was swimming in a sweet savoury glazed soy sauce. The five spices and sugar levels were just right and the skin was still crispy, and the fatty layer under the skin was craved out smartly as well. I would say the dim sum was less impressive as I found my siu mai's texture a little bit tough, and the dough of the prawn dumpling was thick. The wasabi prawn on the other hand was well executed, it had lovely sweet spicy wasabi clothing and was fried just right.

Cantonese roasted duck

Siu mai


My first dining experience since the lockdown and it was great to revisit some classic dishes of the restaurant. The restaurant doesn't exactly do authentic Chinese, but what it does is turn British Chinese takeaway food that you find around the UK into a more refined version that I personally really enjoyed. In Soho of course there is also Yauhcha and Chinatown, but Duck and Rice does standouts for its comfort food at a reasonable price. 


Food 3.5/5


Average cost without drinks and services:

£45

90 Berwick St, Soho, London W1F 0QB


http://www.theduckandrice.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment