Monday 1 May 2023

Alex Dilling at Hotel Café Royal

The most exciting fine dining restaurant in London right now


Canapes


As of writing, Alex Dilling at Hotel Café Royal has just been trading for just over half a year and it appears to be going from strength to strength. It had gathered some very positive media reviews and landed 2 Michelin stars right from its first try. I am not surprised at all as from my recent visits, I found the quality is high and it is a lot better than all the 1-star places I have been to in London. My latest visit was my 5th, and I noticed now at dinner it only serves a single tasting menu (it used to offer 2 in the past).


Oyster, caviar, white asparagus

Pork shoulder, black pudding, foie

Smoked wild Scottish salmon, garlic, morel

Wild turbot, cuttlefish and chorizo


The meal kicked off with a new canape of red prawn and seabream on a crispy hash brown toast. The sweetness from the fresh seafood was lovely, and it was also well crafted that it is rare to see canapes given so much attention to detail. The wild Scottish salmon was nothing like any salmon dish I have tasted in the past, it was loaded with so much rich and oily fish taste, cooked just right with just a small hint of smoke. I also enjoyed the use of wild garlic added a touch of sharpness. The main event of Japanese Gumma A5 sirloin had a melting texture as expected, it was very buttery and super moist, with plenty of impactful meaty savoury taste, so the lemon sauce was perfect to balance off the bold flavour.


Sweetbread and asparagus

A5 wagyu sirloin with asparagus and lemon 

Coffee, vanilla and chocolate

P4


In my latest dining experience at Alex Dilling, the team delivered yet another outstanding meal, the craftsmanship of the dishes was second to none, in fact, I would say technical skill-wise,  perhaps it is the best in London. And dare I say, as far as fine dining in western cuisine, along with The Ledbury, it is at the peak of what London can offer, none of any of the 3 stars restaurants such as Sketch and Ducasse is anywhere as good as Alex Dilling. I would say if this place gets its service to a proper level, this place can well become a world-class venue.


Food 4.5/5



Average cost without drinks and services:
£175 (tasting menu)


68 Regent St., London W1B 4DY

https://alexdilling.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment