Sunday 21 November 2021

Lyle's

Casual yet classy


Ceps and Cotswold White Egg


L
yle's is an interesting place for me. When I first encountered it back in 2015, I was not a fan of its fixed short-tasting menu. It was a casual fine dining experience but a rather underwhelming one as I found the cooking quality was pretty standard, nothing spectacular. However, I paid a revisit in 2019 and it greatly improved. The lunch occasion is a totally different experience at Lyle's, with small sharing plates which proven to be a really enjoyable experience and that changed my view about the venue. Lyle's has since been featuring regularly in the World 50 Best restaurant list, as well as landed a Michelin star.

Bread

Raw Scallop, Turnip & Green Mandarin

Grilled Mylor Prawns & Dulse

For my 3rd visit for lunch, I went for a seafood theme with a selection of seafood to share. BBQ Mylor prawns are not something I would expect in such a restaurant and I was so glad Lyle's has the gut to offer such a dish on the menu. The charred smoky flavours worked so well with the sweet taste of the prawns, I also enjoyed the dulse and vinegar blended sauce which offered a balance to the whole dish, I enjoyed it so much I moped all the sauce with my bread. Razor clam was another wonderful dish, the shellfish was cooked on fire, and the seaweed broth had a small hint of smoky umami taste, truly exceptional. 

Razor Clams, Sea Purslane & Seaweed Broth

Monkfish, Monkfish Liver & Brassicas

Coffee Meringue, Caramel & Espresso


There are many fashionable London restaurants popping up focusing on the small plates concept in the fine modern European manner. But I would say Lyle's is right at the top in that field. The simplicity, clever flavours combination, and using top British ingredients have proven to be a winning formula. I witnessed some really exciting dishes and the casual and relaxing setting is perfect for these types of cooking. Forget about dinner, come to lunch as that is where the magic is happening at Lyle's, I will for sure return in the near future.


Food 4/5


Average cost without drinks and services:

£65 (Lunch)

£79 (dinner)



Tea Building, 56 Shoreditch High St, London E1 6JJ


https://www.lyleslondon.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment