Thursday 10 February 2022

Singapore Garden

Singaporean classic


Black pepper butter crab

I have eaten at many Chinese restaurants in London, but I am keen to explore other South East Asian food, yet I was struggling to find what is considered to be an authentic  Singaporean/Malaysian restaurant. Iconic dishes such as black pepper crab and chicken rice are just some of those dishes I really missed since these dishes are not as widely available in the UK compared to Chinese food. I came across Singapore Garden after being recommended by a local Malaysian chef, so I had high hopes that it will turn out to be a spectacular discovery.


Fried Hokkien mee

Laksa

The black pepper and butter crab had a super inviting umami aroma, the white crab meat was so sweet and the mildly spicy and peppery tone of the seasoning worked extremely with the crab's brown meat. It was a well-executed stir fry crab dish that cooked to the perfect temperature, I couldn't fault it at all. The Hainanese chicken rice was another strong dish, the meat was very tender and the ginger and garlic had just the right balance together with the well-seasoned soy sauce. The fried Hokkien mee, a stir fry egg noodles had lovely soy and wok aroma with a hint of freshness from the lemon, very pleasant. 


Hainanese chicken rice

Melaka and mango pudding


I can't believe I have never encountered Singapore Garden despite it having been in London for over 30 years. The cooking was fantastic and rustic, reasonably priced. I am no expert in Singaporean or Maylsian cuisine but I enjoyed what I have encountered. Overall it was a great discovery,  the menu is big with well over 100 dishes so that is a great excuse for me to return in the near future for sure.


Food: 3/5


Average cost without drinks and services:

£30


83 Fairfax Rd, London NW6 4DY

https://www.singaporegarden.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment