Saturday 15 June 2024

64 Goodge Street

 French cuisine, British style


Soupe au cresson & truffled Comté brioche


This is my second visit to 64 Goodge Street, a French restaurant by the same team behind the wonderful Quality Chop House. From my first visit back in 2023, I was really impressed with the quality of its take on French cuisine with a modern British essence, leveraging the best of British ingredients. Therefore, it was always worth a revisit. This time, I enjoyed lunch in its private dining room, which serves an ALC menu just like the main dining room. You are offered a number of choices from starters, mains and desserts, and you can add in snacks and sides should you wish.


Ragoût of haddock, mussels & gnocchi Parisienne


Saucisse de canard & lentil vinaigrette

Pigeonneaux aux petit pois & Alsace bacon


The meal kicked off with some canapes of raw vegetables with an inviting blue cheese and walnut dip, which instantly woke up my taste buds with its well-balanced fresh yet bold taste. My starter of smoked haddock which sat in a pool of cream sauce was a little too much for me as the haddock was already heavily salted. The main roasted pigeon on the other hand was sensational, I recalled I had a similar dish from my first visit. The meat was cooked perfectly and the richness of the meat sauce paired well with the shallots and mushrooms, this dish is worthy in a 1 Michelin-starred restaurant. Dessert was a comforting apricot tart which was baked just right, I really enjoyed the thin and crispy pastry texture.

Turbot à la Grenobloise

Hogget, courgette, chèvre croustillant

Apricot tarte Tatin


For lunch, I ended up paying £90 with wine and service, which sounded good value considering it was within a private dining room setting with some really top-notch French food. Besides my starter, I found everything else matched my expectation of a fine quality French restaurant in London without reaching into fine dining level. For me, alongside Midland Grand Dining Room, 64 Goodge Street is right up there in my top French restaurants in London.



Food 4/5


Average cost without drinks and services:
£75


64 Goodge Street, London, W1T 4NF

https://64goodgestreet.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment