Sunday 22 January 2023

New Fortune Cookie

Old-school Chinese dining den 


Stir fry lobster and noodles in ginger and spring onions


New Fortune Cookie, the old-school Cantonese restaurant in Queensway has to be the best value-for-money Chinese restaurant in the whole of London. I have eaten there a few times over the year and I can say the quality of the cooking is well above many other Chinese restaurants in London, and the price of this place is insane, with most dishes costing around the £12 mark. The menu is large, so you won't be bored with it as I still have so many dishes I really would love to try. For my 4th visit, I rounded up a group of friends for a traditional Chinese feast to celebrate Chinese New Year.


Steamed brown crab

Peking duck

Braised king oyster mushrooms

The Cantonese lobster noodles, stir fry with spring onions and ginger, were done perfectly. The lobster was moist and packed with such a wonderful seafood umami taste. I would rate it just as good as its neighbor Mandarin Kitchen (which is famous for its lobster noodles), but guess what? is £10 cheaper over here. The Peking duck; was roasted perfectly, with just the right balance of sweetness and savouriness, and the skin was crispy as it should be, another winner. Oyster and pork belly cooked in a clay pot with yellow bean sauce had such a comforting taste, the creaminess of the oyster mixed well with the bold taste of the bean sauce, and it was cooked just right.

Spinach and salted egg

Oyster and pork belly clay pot

Salt and pepper king prawns

The bill, with 8 people serving 8 dishes, only costs £35 per person. Considering we had 2 whole lobsters, a crab, and a duck, this is super value for money. The cooking was as solid as usual. No gimmicks, just done properly in the traditional Chinese manner, I had nothing but love for it. The only reason stopping me from going there once a week is that is on the other side of London from where I am based, I can see myself becoming a hardcore regular easily if I live nearby.


Food 3.5/5

What I paid: 

£35 per person with tea

Average cost without drinks and services:
£25


1 Queensway, London W2 4QJ


https://www.nfcrestaurant.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment