Saturday 19 January 2019

Din Tai Fung Xinyi Restaurant Taipei

The legend of Xiao Long Bao


Xiao Long Bao

Din Tai Fung just launched in London and while I enjoyed the meal there, I found the cost was far too expensive and I tasted better Xiao Long Bao elsewhere. On my trip to Taipei, I got the chance to visit the first Din Tai Fung in the world. The original site has somewhat become a tourist hotspot, you would find it to be recommended by pretty much any Taiwanese holiday websites or publication. I arrived on 11am to try to avoid the lunch crowd and I was lucky to get a table right away.



Din Tai Fung Xinyi
Black truffle xiao long bao
No sauce required

I decided to go on a Xiao Long Bao journey and ordered 4 types. The classic containing pork was really solid, but even better was the crab roe xiao long bao, the richness of the brown crab meat and roe added a great depth of aroma, as well thickening the filling, it was basically an umami bomb. The less enjoyable one was the green squash and prawn, the crunchiness from the vegetables was strange and didn't work with the vinegar. Last but not least, was the black truffle xiao long bao. The earthiness of the filling was exquisite, good enough without the need of adding any sauces.

Green squash and prawn xiao long bao
Crab roe xiao long bao
Noodles in peanut sauce
Chocolate buns

The original Din Tai Fung was a smash hit for me, everything was done really and it was much better in both taste and cost vs the London's outlet. Another thing that really impressed me was the service, it was the best service in the casual dining level. Every single staff were so caring and warming to every table, and most can speak more than 3 languages, you can also sit as long as you like! I was not expecting such a remarkable service in a tourist-heavy venue so that was a pleasant surprise. I would advice come really early as you can easily wait more than an hour to get a table if you visit on prime time like 1pm and 7pm.


Food 3.5/5

What I paid: 

£25 per head

Average cost without drinks and services :

£20

194, Section 2, Xinyi Road, Da’an District, Taipei City, Taiwan 106

https://www.dintaifung.com.tw/

No comments:

Post a Comment