Sunday 13 June 2021

The Ritz

Classy French fine dining


Bresse Duck

While the UK was still on lockdown, I was asking myself which restaurant is on my 'must return list'. Sadly The Ledbury and Greenhouse are now no more, and Kitchen Table is still shut at the time of writing. So The Ritz was one of the few left at the fine dining level. I had a great memory from my first visit last year, the tasting menu was truly outstanding and I always wanted to try chef John William's more traditional dishes from the ALC menu, especially its legendary table side dishes 'Art de la table'. That was enough for me to justify a return visit. Of course, The Ritz's dining room is grand and classy with state-of-the-art service attached to it, which is another plus to the restaurant.


Native Lobster, Heritage Tomato and Almond


Seabass, courgette, basil and lemon

Bresse Duck Honey, Lavendar and Smoked Beetroot


For the starter, it was a lobster and tomato dish which I had from its tasting menu. It was as good as I recalled, beautifully presented, really fresh and packed with tones of natural fruity sweetness, I could not fault it. The main of Bresse duck did not disappoint, served table side with such an inviting aroma spreading across the dining room. It was cooked perfectly, loaded with so much savory taste with a floral sweet undertone thanks to the honey and lavender. Not to mention the blood and red wine sauce with beetroot which accompanied the duck perfectly, every mouthful was a pure joy. I would say the duck leg confit which followed up was just not in the same league, it was a touch dry. The serving of walnut and orange salad was fine, but just not to the same high standard of the main event.

Confit duck leg, walnut and orange salad

Ritz Chocolate Soufflé

Wild Strawberry Tart


My return to The Ritz was just as good as my first visit. I would say the overall ALC experience had a more traditional French feel vs its tasting menu format, but it was equally impressive. Of course, the only annoying thing for me about The Ritz is you need to dress formally, so is place is best for a special occasion. However, the world-class service is a given, as we are talking about The Ritz after all. I have already got my eyes on other dishes I would like to try so a return is on the card for sure.


Food 4/5

What I paid:
£130 with wine

Average cost without drinks and services:
£125 (Tasting menu)

150 Piccadilly, St. James's, London W1J 9BR

https://www.theritzlondon.com/dine-with-us/the-ritz-restaurant/

No comments:

Post a Comment