Tuesday 6 August 2024

Story

 Story chapter 2


English Pea Custard, N25 Caviar


I recall when Story first opened back in 2013, it was the talk of the town and the hottest opening in London. The creativity and surprise element was so new and cutting edge for Londoners, I remember the wow factor from the beef dipping candle, which I had no idea was butter till the bread was served to me. Fast forward more than 10 years later, it got itself not 1, but 2 Michelin stars and Story has closed for almost a year as it went into a major revamp in 2023, before it reopened again in early 2024 with a brand new decor and menu. I was interested to see the progress and changes.


Hamachi ‘Chalaquita’ San Marzano tomato


Candle Brioche, beef extract & pickled celery

Agnolotti, burnt lemon, broad beans & mint


The restaurant only offers a single tasting menu of about 8 courses. what made this place so interesting over the years is its creativity and this theme hasn't been lost, but it failed to capture exceptional taste for the most part. The agnolotti pasta looked inviting when a lemon sauce was pressed in front of us using a traditional pigeon press, but all I could taste was a sour cream on some pasta, it lacked any refinement or depth. The best part of the meal was the main lamb. The ribs had a soft tone of smokiness and the meat itself was rich, bold, and super tender, with the wild garlic enhancing the savory note brilliantly.

Cod, courgette, red pepper & saffron

Herdwick Lamb, Wye Valley asparagus & wild garlic

English Strawberries Vanilla yogurt parfait & lemon balm


My second visit was somewhat a let down I got to say, the sky-high price tag, along with the 2 Michelin stars achievement, has given me a high expectation that Story is on to something groundbreaking and truly special, but I found those edgy concepts has overtaken the taste which is the most important factor. I found the quality of the food was 1 star at best, yet it is charging 3 Michelin stars price which was shocking. Hate to say it, but Story felt like is a bit style over substance.


Food 4/5

Executive chef: 
Tom Sellers

What I paid: 
£301 per head with a glass of wine

Average cost without drinks and services:
£250 tasting menu


201 Tooley St, London SE1 2UE


http://www.restaurantstory.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment