Tuesday 6 August 2024

The Ninth

Mediterranean-themed offering


Spaghetti, Australian Winter Truffle & Aged Parmesan

The Ninth by Chef Jun Tanaka is a 1 Michelin-starred restaurant that offers Southern French cuisine with a strong Mediterranean influence. Spreading across 3 floors with a short selection of starters, pasta and main dishes to pick from. This is my second time at The Ninth, with the last visit dated back all the way to when it was opened, back in 2016. Given it has been 8 years since, I am sure a lot has changed so I went with open eyes. To best experience what The Ninth is all about, I opted for the Chef's choice menu.


Yellowtail, Kohlrabi & Amalfi Lemon


Grilled Dover Sole, Rainbow Chard & Truffle Butter


The spaghetti in a truffle and cheese sauce was nice but it felt like it didn't belong at a Michelin star level, I could easily have a similar dish in many other Italian restaurants so having such a dish in the chef's choice menu, a format that is supposed to be the chef's best offering is puzzling. Grilled Dovesole remained in the same theme, a well-cooked piece of fish in a butter sauce but it is so standard that many other seafood restaurants can dish out just as well, having some truffle infused in butter just doesn't cut it for me. The French toast was the no 1 dish for me from the menu, a nice chunky piece of toast with rich caramel and butter clothing, with a really interesting tonka bean ice cream that added a soft spices tone which offered a fine balance to the rich toast.

Iberico Pork Pluma, Tropea Onion, Courgette & Cucumber

Pain Perdu, Tonka Bean Ice Cream


I didn't think much has changed as far as the food standard compared to 2016, but given it has since gathered a Michelin star and the price is a lot higher these days, I found it was a little underwhelming, as it lacked anything remarkable, and dishes it can be found elsewhere in London easily. Therefore there isn't really a reason for me to head back anytime soon.


Food 3/5


What I paid: 
£120 per head

Average cost without drinks and services:
£80

22 Charlotte St., London W1T 2NB

www.theninthlondon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment