Monday 28 August 2023

Mountain Beak Street

 Too much, too little


Spider crab omelet


Mountain in Soho is a brand-new restaurant by Tom Perry, the chef behind the popular Michelin-starred casual dining spot Brat. At Mountain, he has shifted the hero dish Turbot into a lobster stew. Unlike Brat, Mountain is a massive restaurant with 2 floors and can take on more than 100 covers at once, my question is can it maintain a similar level of service and food quality at such a scale? Should I expect to match the quality of Brat? Yes for me given the price is so similar while many things on the menu overlap.


Grilled langoustines

Grilled beef sweetbread


Unfortunately, my meal got off to a pretty underwhelming start, an overseasoned and tiny spider crab egg omelet that I could hardly taste the crab and cost £15 a dish. This was followed by a pair of well-executed grilled langoustine, but both with a missing claw and so tiny while costing £16, it was totally overpriced. The hero dish at Brat at least was impressive, a big pot of lobster stew that had a rich seafood umami aroma, as well as taste. The lobster wasn't overcooked like many seafood stews you would find elsewhere, and I found the side dish of wood-fired rice was perfect to pair with the stew.


Wood fired rice

750g lobster stew


Cooking level-wise, Mountain was decent, but I found the service/ operation was weak, as well the whole package was overpriced. With no alcohol or desserts, I still ended up paying close to £90 per person. I paid a fine dining level price for somewhere where tables are so close to one another, with slow service and overpriced starters, it was just not worth it. The PR hype got this place to be very popular right now. But if I look beyond that, I can easily visit Brat for something just as good, with much better service at the same time.


Food 3/5


Average cost without drinks and services:
£80


16-18 Beak St, London W1F 9RD

https://mountainbeakstreet.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment